Funeral Service Options
Funeral services are now more informal, more flexible and personalised than ever. They can be held almost anywhere and be officiated by anyone, including a family member or friend, a celebrant and religious leaders.
The service may take a traditional path with readings of scripture and singing of hymns or may include reading of poems and live music sung for the congregation... sometimes a combination of the above, to suit all tastes and generations attending.
Where appropriate, a sense of celebration for “a life well lived” is often requested, with more family and congregation participation, sharing stories of many aspects of their lives.
We are able to organise for you or assist with the following:
- Securing the location for the service: a church, chapel, at home or graveside
- Securing the location for the post-funeral get together
- The funeral celebrant or minister to officiate the funeral service
- Contacting appropriate burial authorities
- Contacting the doctor, coroner or hospital and the collection of required certificates
- Arranging transportation or repatriation within New Zealand or other countries
- Liaising with clergy or funeral celebrants, assisting with the service and organising funeral details
- The service sheets, the choice of music and hymns. Slideshow or Powerpoint presentations
- Liaising with locally sourced business partners. Examples of these important services are printers, florists, caterers, musicians, videographers, newspapers, to name a few
- The provision and preparation of the casket (selected from either our website or showroom)
- Embalming to ensure hygienic preservation and natural presentation
- Providing comfortable viewing facilities
- Providing transport to and from the funeral in our hearses
The Founders Reception Lounge is conveniently located alongside The Founders Chapel Of Remembrance, and as the cemetery is immediately across the way, mourners can easily walk the short distance to and from the burial service prior to refreshments without having to move their cars at all. While licensed caterers are welcome into our commercial kitchens, we do not offer outside catering; we are happy to arrange alternative local caterers for other venues.
Taupo Funeral Services Ltd keep a large choice of caskets onsite for purchase, they can be viewed in our purpose built show room, in a hard copy catalogue or our website. Our funeral directors will assist you with your choice.
As in all things, our choices may be determined by the costs involved and the cost of a funeral does depend on the choices made.
Your funeral director will be able to explain the costs of a funeral to you. It is important for you to let your funeral director know if you have financial constraints so they can work with you and ensure your funeral costs do not get overwhelming. Funerals can be paid by the estate of the deceased, a pre-paid funeral plan, the person organising and authorising the funeral, WINZ or ACC.
A funeral grant is available through WINZ which contributes to funeral costs for families meeting their criteria. This grant is means tested and will not cover the entire cost of a funeral.
Please apply directly with WINZ. Here are links to application forms on their website:
ACC will contribute to the cost of a funeral if the death has been as the result of an accident.
Many people pre-arrange and pre-pay their own funerals. This can help relieve loved ones of emotional and financial concerns.